"The body achieves what the mind believes"
THE PHYSICAL EDUCATION FACULTY HAS TWO FUNDAMENTAL AIMS:
UNDERSTANDING AND ENJOYMENT LEADING TO ENLIGHTENED, CONFIDENT AND MOTIVATED STUDENTS WHO WOULD CHOOSE PHYSICAL ACTIVITY AS PART OF THEIR LIFESTYLES.
The Physical Education department supports and contributes towards the following philosophy:
Physical Education will provide all students with various intellectual experiences which together will provide an entitlement to:
- The development of creative enjoyment and aesthetic awareness
- Celebrate talents and qualities
- Problem solving capabilities
- Empathy and respect
- Awareness of our heritage and other cultures
- Expression as another form of communication
As a result students will become:
- More confident
- More imaginative
- More perceptive
- More successful
And therefore better prepared to cope, contribute and interact in a society.
PE contributes to the whole education of a young person in a unique way and is concerned with:
- Motor Skills and competence – achieved through physical activity
- Health Related Skills – cognitive and behavioural, ie. A healthy attitude and a healthy body
The department's general aims include developing thought processes such as memory, perception, imagination, judgment and reasoning, as well as building confidence and self-esteem.
We try to foster such qualities as courage, loyalty, fair play, responsibility and respect, whilst at the same time creating a love of healthy outdoor sport, which will lead to a more active and enjoyable use of leisure time.